A few hours ago, the Ethereum blockchain update was released, in which minor bugs were fixed and preparations were made for the next Ethereum Istanbul hard fork, scheduled for October 16, 2019.
The update is available on GitHub, here are some of its features:
- Client tracking for light servers has been improved to better prioritize requests, making it fair for everyone (# 19745).
- Avoid getting full blocks for GraphQL queries on light clients if the query is based on headers (# 19886).
- Support for closing simulated backends, preventing leakage during log execution (# 19902).
- Support for redefining the eth_call chain state before execution; see API documentation (# 19917) for details.
- To avoid confusion, replace all password labels addressed to the user with a password (# 19932).
In addition, some EIPs (Ethereum Improvement Suggestions) were implemented:
- Implementation of EIP-1884: Reevaluation for opcodes dependent on tree size (# 19743);
- Implementation of EIP-1108: Reducing the cost of precompilation alt_bn128 (# 19904);
- Implementation of EIP-1344: ChainID Operation Code (# 19921).
The Ethereum team explained that it will provide a date for the test network at the start of testing readiness for the implementation of Istanbul hard fork. If there are no complications, the event will take place on October 16, 2019.